Thursday, March 17, 2011

3/17

Word parts for the day:

bas means "low" like with bass and base, two homophones, as well as the verbs debase and abase.

log can mean "word" or "reason" like with neologism (a new word) and a monologue or logic and illogical. Or, to attach this to something we learned about a while back, logos (not pathos or ethos).

reg means "rule" like in the words regulation, regular, regal, or interregnum. I didn't know what the last word meant, so I just looked it up. I guessed (since I know what inter means and it has part of the word number) that it had to do with the time between rulers, like a transition period between two kings. I should have trusted my knowledge of word parts because that's what it is! To put it in an American context, it's what we have with a lame duck president, when the guy in office knows he's on his way out.

And finally, sess means "sit" like with obsessed and insessorial. The latter adjective describes a bird's talons since that's what is used by a bird to "sit" on a branch. Also, the word sessility which describes barnacles or other animals that don't move around. They just sit there.

We dove headfirst into our research today. I gave them note cards, and some of the students used them to jot down notes (in their own words, I hope!) for their topic categories. Some of the students are doing well; some are not doing so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment