Thursday, January 20, 2011

There's Snow Messin' Around on Thursdays in My Class!

Just in case there's another almond mishap later (or somebody tries to kill me because of that terrible pun up there, one that I stole from the CNN Kids News guy we watch in some Lynhurst homerooms every morning), I thought I'd get the blog entry finished early.

We had a short quiz over chapters 18-20 in Fever 1793. The grandfather dies after a fight with some robbers in these chapters. Matilda is left alone after burying her grandfather. There's a little girl with a broken doll. So much excitement, action, and emotion in these chapters! If they didn't do well on today's quiz, there's one explanation--they aren't reading. And that makes me as sad as a girl with a broken doll.

We reviewed more word parts today. Today I actually used the words (without telling them) that are on tomorrow's test. Hopefully, that will help. They should spend some time studying tonight! By the way, my third block class was not cooperating as we reviewed the word parts. I was tired of talking over them and decided to just start them on their other work. They, I guess, can study the word parts on their own.

We finished (maybe) the work with Martin Luther King's speech. Today, they wrote King a letter about what the speech means to them and about whether they think any parts of his "dream" have become a reality today. Hopefully, they were able to make some connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment