Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday--Surviving the Blizzard of 2010!

Unfortunately, we had a two-hour delay today and therefore less class time. It's not exactly the best week for less class time, but who am I to argue with Mother Nature?

I don't know if it was because it was Monday (students are goofy on Mondays because they're so happy to see us) or because their schedule was slightly different (students are goofy when their schedules are slightly different, too), but students were pretty goofy today. That's probably not a great idea the final week of a semester.

We took a W2M quiz and discussed the reading over the long weekend. I get the feeling that a lot of students aren't doing the reading which bugs me for a few different reasons: 1) It'll make it difficult for them to pass. 2) They aren't able to participate in class as their peers discuss the novel and take quizzes. Some of them are doing nothing more than just sitting there taking up space (literally) while the rest of the class discusses the book.

We reviewed our vocabulary word parts, the list 7 words.

We started reading some articles on dodgeball, focusing on logos, pathos, and ethos. Or to put it in a less Greek way--logical appeals, emotional appeals, and ethical appeals. We also looked at the importance of an author's tone. We'll finish with the work on those articles tomorrow before spending time with our own writing.

Their own writing is due on Thursday, by the way. That's the same day their last first-semester vocabulary quiz is.

Leave me a comment! I get lonely!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Brashear: I am always here enjoying all your blogs! I, too, noticed the students were goofy today. My student finished the book last week, and he really enjoyed it. I think I might read it, also. Rock on Mr. B.!

    ReplyDelete