Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hump Day

I don't know if your son or daughter has told you this, but I'm quite the artist. Today, I shared with my students some word part pictures that I made to help me remember List Seven's parts. I wish I could figure out a way to get them on the blog to share them with the world outside of my classroom. Examples include a boxer made out of the word part pugn (P as a face and backwards baseball cap, the U making arms with boxing gloves on the ends, the G being a body, and a sideways lower-case N for his legs) and a snake shedding the word part derm. I made a little picture for each of the 25 words, apparently because I don't have anything better to do with my time.

We read a lovely essay by Lynda Barry (a cartoonist) called "The Sanctuary of Schools," a memoir that sneaks in some persuasive stuff. It's about a 7 year old who actually runs off really early in the morning to go to school because the issues in her home have gotten to be too much for her to handle. At school, she feels all the things that our children should feel--loved, important, etc. She uses this personal experience as an example for why public education should be supported. We read this one together, and the students had three constructed responses to answer.

We also covered conclusions today, focusing on strategies to give the conclusions some BANG and the "call to response" that is usually in a persuasive essay. Now the students are ready to finish up and get that essay turned in tomorrow. They're writing about whether or not I should continue teaching. Unfortunately for some of them, I'm not going anywhere and will be impossible to convince. There's still a lot of work that I have to do here at Lynhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment