Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday, November 16

Today, we read a story about my Aunt Poisson (Poy-sahn...not like "poison") which had a ton of word parts in it. A lot of the students were able to identify the word parts and tell me what they meant. Students should be spending time with their word parts every single night! I would recommend using flash cards.

New word parts we went over today:

plu "plus" like plural
tang "touch" like tangle
string "bind" like. . .well, string. Stringent is a nice new word though.
liber "free" like liberty
junct "join" like conjunction, a part of speech they should all know
clud "close" like exclude"

We spend a lot of time with sonnets today. We finished looking at the sonnet from yesterday, but the students might have a little work to finish up on with that before they turn it in tomorrow. We also looked at the following Shakespeare sonnet:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red, than her lips red:
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound:
I grant I never saw a goddess go,
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare,
As any she belied with false compare.

That's right. He's dissin' his mistress. We discussed rhyme scheme, iambic pentameter, octameters, sestets, and couplets and looked at the characteristics of sonnets. Tomorrow, we'll move on to elegies.

Uglies quiz is due tomorrow. Students should read to page 229 by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment