Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday

It's Friday, and I already miss my students.

We went over the rest of our vocabulary word parts. I told the students that next week's 100 question test will be broken into two parts--50 old word parts on Tuesday and 25 old/25 new on Wednesday.

We took a quick and easy quiz on the Uglies reading.

Most of today's class was taken up by a single poem--Walt Whitman's elegy "O Captain! My Captain!" We looked at it on a literal level, a speaker lamenting the death of a ship's captain as they arrive back home after winning some kind of prize. Then, we looked at Whitman's real meaning, the symbolism, and the extended metaphor. Whitman's really writing about the death of Abraham Lincoln. It's a cool poem.

I forgot to write a blog entry yesterday. We did some dialogue review, looked at some vocabulary words, and went over the elegies the students read on their own Wednesday.

Expect a letter from me on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment