Monday, February 7, 2011

Second Monday in a Row

Two Mondays in a row. That doesn't happen a lot.

The catICEtrophe (I'm so proud of that one) messed everything up, so here's an updated list of due dates, etc.:

1) The next vocabulary quiz will be this coming Friday.
2) The Fever 1793 book report needs to be turned in some time this week. I've gotten a few; I'd like a lot more.
3) We'll be researching in the library on Wednesday. I don't have a due date for the language arts part (children's book, poster, brochure) of the research project yet.

Today, we did half of a vocabulary review sheet. The words I included on the review sheet are the ones on the test, so this can be a valuable tool for the students as they study this week. We'll do the second half tomorrow and some other activities later in the week to hopefully get those vocabulary scores up.

We spent some time reviewing and practicing our sentence combining. I think the students are finding complex sentences easier than compound sentences. You'd think they would be more...well, complex.

Finally, we took a little quiz with the orange dinkers on paraphrasing. I know it's been a week, but this was a painfully easy quiz. We reviewed paraphrasing, talked about the difference between paraphrasing and summarizing, and looked at a few examples. Tomorrow, the students will practice a little on their own before we get into the heavy duty research stuff.

I finished my progress reports about thirty minutes ago. Sadly, the grades aren't very good at all. If you have any questions, give me a call or send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment